Making a bulk batch of Italian seasoning maximizes efficiency in the kitchen. This versatile Italian seasoning recipe works well in spaghetti sauce, lasagna, roasted veggies, marinades and even chili and many different soups.
How to Make Bulk Italian Seasoning
This Italian seasoning recipe is a blend of basic dried herbs and spices. Feel free to add a little heat with red pepper flakes if desired. I typically add the spicier ingredient into individual recipes per taste preference.
This recipe is easy to make. Simply measure out the suggested herbs and spices, mix, and store in an airtight container. Don’t forget to add a label and the date.
The blend stays fresh for about 6 months if stored in a dark cupboard or drawer in an airtight container. Of course the freshness factor will vary depending on the quality and freshness of spices used.
Why Make Taco Seasoning in Bulk
- Efficiency – Pre-made bulk batches of seasonings maximize efficiency while cooking. Rather than measuring out the individual ingredients, just add the pre-mixed blend to speed up the process. This Italian blend remains basic for versatility and use in many different recipes. Minimal heat spice, such as red pepper is included.
- Ingredient Awareness – Another reason to make your own Italian seasoning rather than purchase the blend at a store is so you know exactly what you are consuming. Many blends add extra salt for flavor, rice (to absorb moisture) or flour (to prevent caking and clumping), which is unnecessary.
- Cost Effective – Making your own spice blends is also cost effective. The dried herbs in Italian seasoning are easily able to be found in bulk themselves.
How to Buy Fresh Spices
The flavor of your final recipe will vary greatly depending on the freshness of ingredients used. I discuss this often in my argument for using seasonal fruits and vegetables. Fresh herbs and spices also make a huge difference in elevating flavors.
There are many quality heirloom spice options available from niche stores or restaurants. It is ideal to buy from a company with the shortest supply chain possible – ideally one that sources spices straight from their origins and sells them directly to you. This process guarantees the most flavorful, freshest, and ethically sourced spices.
For convenience, Frontier Co-op brand spices is a great option available in many grocery stores. This member- owned co-op headquartered in Iowa also includes a 100% organic line, Simply Organic. Frontier Co-op introduced the first Fair Trade Certified spices in the United States in 2009. Its Well Earth program supports spice growers and foragers by providing contracts and assistance for agricultural equipment.
Favorite Spice Blends to Make in Bulk
Other bulk spice favorites in my kitchen include Greek Seasoning and Taco Seasoning. If you commonly cook recipes that require similar blends of spices, consider making a bulk batch. As a result, you will save time in the kitchen!
Bulk Italian Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp parsley (optional) see note below
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl to mix thoroughtly
- Pour into a glass air tight container and store in a cool dark place for up to 6 months